armorial-arms-of-clerke-1813

Chinese export porcelain Mandarin armorial plate, c.1813
10″ diameter
From Chinese Armorial Porcelain by David Sanctuary Howard:
The crests, painted in England, are of CLerke or Clarke, A demi ram salient debruised by a baton – above the hooves a fleur-de-lis, and A lark with wings elevated – in the beak an ear of wheat proper. They are surrounded by a ribbon with the inscription ‘Munus et Monumentum Victoriae Henry VIII spurs 1513’ (loosely, ‘In remembrance of the victory of King Henry VIII at the Battle of Spurs in 1513’).
The service was almost certainly made to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the battle, and certainly by a descendant of Sir John Clerke of Weston, who took prisoner in 1513 the Duke de Longueville and was granted an honourable augmentation to his arms – see service made about 1730, probably for Sir William Clerke, Bt. (02).
This service could have been made for Sir William Clerke, 8th Baronet, Fellow of All Souls College Oxford and Rector of Bury in Lancashire, who died in 1815 (but this family uses a ram’s head as a crest today). The Clarke family of Bridwell near Cullompton in Devon were also descendants. John-Were Clarke of Bridwell married in 1810 Frances, daughter of Sir Thomas Carew of Haccombe.
SOLD

armorial-arms-of-clerke-1813-detail-1

armorial-arms-of-clerke-1813-detail-2